"A'ohe hana nui ka alu'ia..." (No task is too big when done together.)

Sunday, June 15, 2014

Day One of Field School

Day 1

The first day of Malama 'Āina Field School started with our daily Nānākuli Oli (chant). As we all gather together outside it is pretty early in the morning and there is still a lingering chill in the air. As I look around I notice that most everyone's body language seems to be reflecting what I'm thinking, which is "Why am I up this early during summer break?" But then Cameron powerfully belts out the first words and we all start to chant. We chant of the majestic mountains that encompass our valley (Heleakala, Palikea, 
Mauna Kapu, Manawahua & Piliokahe).  We face these mountains and countinue our chant as the sun gently warms our skin. It's then that I am struck by the ancient beauty of this place where I live. This place nestled in between lush green mountains on one side and sandy white beaches on the other. Gradually, I am filled with this sense of deep gratitude as pride for my hometown explodes in my heart. I stand up a little straighter, chant a little louder, breathe deeply of the clean sweet morning air and I am so thankful for what I have been blessed with. I look around at my class mates and I can see a transformation in them too. I can see that same pride shining in their eyes and then I realize that this is why we do our morning Oli. This is a sacred thing that our ancestors did long ago and our group just honored that tradition today. As our chant comes to a close and we head on inside I feel pono (right) and ready for the day. Next it's time for morning circle. Everyone takes turns sharing their reasons for joining Field School. As we speak we each wrap a piece of yarn around a cardboard cylinder to symbolize each persons mana (power) and committment to our program. Later we will use the yarn to construct the 
class' "ball of power."




As a class bonding event, students learned the history of an 'Aha and later got to make 'Aha keychains. An 'Aha was a council made up of different Ali'i (chiefs) in ancient Hawai'i. An Aho was a single Ali'i. When all Aho met together, they were a strong group. Students learned that individuals working together can form a strong foundation and is capable of doing many great things.


Mr. Joe McGinn from Hawai'i Natural Farming came and taught the students about organic cultivation. He introduced fermented plant juice (FPJ's) and lactic bacteria acid (LAB's) to the students. FPJ's and LAB's are used as fertilizers for different plants and is made with natural ingredients. He also taught students the easy process of making these concoctions at home as a means to practice sustainable living.


3 comments:

  1. Great post Gal! I love how you described the chant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, your writing gave me chicken skin! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. these were wonderful!! loved the description and the photos! xo

    ReplyDelete